Recently, I installed elementary OS. It is one of the most beautiful Linux distributions. The user interface is different from Ubuntu’s GNOME and so is the user experience.
elementary OS comes with a dock with a default set of programs. This dock allows you to quickly access applications that have been added to the dock.
The dock also shows the icons of the running applications. If the running application is not added to dock, it gets disappeared from the dock after you close it.
You can, of course, search the application and run it again but having it in the bottom plank would be quicker to launch applications.
Let me show you how to add your favorite applications in the dock.
Add a new program in the dock in Elementary OS
There are two ways to do this:
- Open the application launcher. Select the application and drag it to the dock. It will be added immediately.
- You run the application from the application launcher. Right click on the running application and select the “keep in dock” option.
Let’s see the second method in detail.
To add a new program in dock in Elementary OS, do the following things:
- First thing you need to do is to start the application. You can search for the app in the Applications.
- When the program is running, move the cursor to the lower middle end of the screen. It will bring up the dock.
- Right click on the icon of that application and you can see several options.
- Click on Keep in Dock option and it will be added to the dock.
The screenshot below would be helpful to add the program in dock in Elementary OS:
And that’s it. I hope it helped beginners in getting along with Elementary OS. Questions, suggestions are most welcomed. Ciao :)