I have a feeling that we've been covering more commands and terminal-based tutorials than desktop-focused tutorials.
Do you also think the same? If yes, let me know so that we can put the focus back where you, our readers, want it.
💬 Let's see what you get in this edition of FOSS Weekly:
- SUSE plans to fork Red Hat
- Get familiar with exit codes in Linux
- Continuation learning with Bash Basics series and Linux command examples
- Birthday wishes in ASCII format
- And other Linux news, videos, Puzzles and, of course, memes!
📰 Linux news
- The LXD project has found a new home at Canonical.
- Fedora Workstation 40 might feature privacy-preserving telemetry.
- blendOS v3 was recently released with significant upgrades.
- Solus received a new release after almost two years.
- Geary 44 was released with two nifty additions.
- A new release of Q4OS is here.
- SUSE has landed a blow to IBM with plans to fork RHEL into a new distro without restrictions.
- GIMP 2.99.16 was released, making it closer to the 3.0 release.
Thunderbird 115 was released, featuring the long-awaited redesign.
🧠 What we’re thinking about
Here's a detailed brief history of the btrfs file system that I came across recently although the article is more than a decade old.
Let's a-raise your bash skills with arrays.
Unravel the mystery behind exit codes in Linux.
Continue exploring essential Linux commands.
Learn to create an animated ASCII birthday animation in the Linux terminal! 🎂
📹 What we are watching
One of our followers on Mastodon shared an interesting take on what to do if your favorite free software is on the brink of being shut down.
✨ Project highlights
openKylin can be a game-changer for the Linux ecosystem in China.
🧩 Puzzle (for Pro members only)
There are five Wordle. They can be software programs, desktops, distributions etc. Try to complete it in as fewer steps as possible.
🛍️ Interesting deal for you
Featuring a mix of beginner-level and masterclasses, this comprehensive video course curriculum will help you get a handle on using Python for AI and machine learning applications, data analytics, and more.
Your purchase supports Children’s Miracle Network.
💡 Quick handy tip
If you are bothered by the title-bar taking extra space in Firefox, you can easily hide it. Right-click on the tab bar and choose Customize Toolbar.
Firefox opens the customization menu in a new tab. Move to this new Customize tab and look at the bottom. You’ll see Title Bar option checked.
You just need to uncheck this Title Bar option. That’s it.
🤣 Meme of the week
Once you enter Vim, it's either all or nothing!
🗓️ Tech Trivia
On July 9, 1981, Nintendo released the hit video game Donkey Kong in Japan. The game features the first-ever appearance of the Mario character. The game was launched in the USA a few weeks later.
🧑🤝🧑 FOSSverse corner
Recently, a reader noticed that CopyQ clipboard application was not working as intended in Ubuntu 23.04. I shared the possible fix for the problem in the Community.
Don't forget to join the Community :)
❤️ Loving FOSS Weekly?
Share it with you Linux-using friends and encourage them to subscribe (hint: it's here).
Become a Pro member and help us survive the onslaught of AI 🙏
Anything else? Hit the reply button.
Keep reading It's FOSS :)