Kali Linux has announced the release of version 2.0.
Kali Linux is a Debian based Linux distribution which is focused on penetration testing and is often preferred by network security specialists and hackers. It comes with over 600 penetration-testing programs installed by default.
Earlier, Kali Linux was known as BackTrack and was based on Ubuntu. In 2013, it was re-developed around Debian and released under the new name of Kali Linux.
Main features of Kali Linux 2.0
This is the first major release of Kali Linux in past two years and it brings a number of changes and new features to it.
- Kali Linux 2.0 will be a rolling release
- Major UI changes
- Based upon Debian Jessie
- Linux Kernel 4.0
- Improved hardware and wireless driver coverage
- Support for a more desktop environments such as gnome, kde, xfce, mate, e17, lxde, i3wm
- Tools will be updated more frequently
- Updated VMware and VirtualBox Images
- Available for NetHunter as well
It also has a video teaser for the release of Kali Linux 2.0. Do watch it if you are interested to see the new features:
It’s not that its only Kali Linux that is specific for a field, check out these ultra niche weird Ubuntu based Linux distributions.