uGet is a popular open source download manager for Linux and other major platforms including mobile OSes. It is a li weight and yet feature rich application that has always been ranked among the best download managers for Linux.
uGet’s latest stable version 2.2 brings several changes to the table such as support for Wayland and YouTube download.
It now has browser extensions for Firefox, Chromium, Google Chrome, Opera, and Vivaldi.
Before we see how to install uGet 2.2 in Ubuntu, Linux Mint and other distributions, first let’s have a look at main features of uGet.
uGet main features
- Queue Downloads
- Clipboard Monitor
- Batch Downloads
- Global Defaults
- Categorized Defaults
- Speed Limits
- YouTube download
- Mega Download
- Browser extensions
- Support for multiple languages
What’s new in uGet 2.2.0
- YouTube download support
- Mega download support
- Browser extensions
- Wayland support
What’s new in uGet 2.0
uGet 2.0 was the major release and it brought up several changes both in terms of looks, performance and new features.
- Every category has it’s data file. (file format is JSON)
- Program can set priority for each download in global speed limit mode.
- Auto classifier by file extension, host, and scheme.
- User can change category order.
- All data files use JSON format. (not compatiable with uGet 1)
- Global speed control can affect all plug-ins.
- Skip existing URLs from clipboard and command-line.
- support multi-thread downloading.
- support mirrors.
- support aria2 control file format ver 1 (aria2 v1.4.1).
- It can allocate file by its size before downloading.
- uGet1’s downloaded file can’t be resumed by uGet2. It is not compatiable.
- better BitTorrent and metalink support.
- support JSON-RPC batch request to improve remote aria2 downloading.
- support aria2 “–out” argument to set output filename.
- support RPC authorization secret token (Aria2 v1.8.4 new feature)
- add “split” option to avoid less connections if user specify mirrors.
GTK+ User interface:
- New setting dialog.
- Adjust category selector in main window for touch screen.
- Remember category selection and paned position.
- Program can sort all downloads by status.
- Program can launch custom command when download complete.
- Remove feature: launching app for specified file types.
- Don’t notify completed if error occurs. It will notify error.
- Banner can show uGet RSS message.
- provide uget-1to2 (or uget-gtk-1to2) to convert setting from old uGet files.
Full list of changes can be found here.
Install uGet in Ubuntu and Linux Mint
To install the latest stable version of uGet in Ubuntu 14.04, 16.04 and latest, Linux Mint 17 and 18 series and elementary OS, use the following commands in a terminal:
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:plushuang-tw/uget-stable sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install uget aria2
You can get uGet for other Linux distributions from the link below:
That’s all you need to do. I hope you find this tutorial helpful. Ciao :)